December 21, 2010

My Great Week!

Hello All,

This week was one of the best weeks of my mission! It all started on Wednesday when Elder Ouassil and I were tracting apartments, where we found the Indian family and Debbie.
First the Indian family. One of the reasons I love my new companion is because it is easy for him to talk to people on the street and ask them if they would like to learn more. So when the Indian family (Yes, from India! Here there are many b/c they work at Microsoft ) answered the door Elder Ouassil started up a conversation. The husband wasn't home, but the wife said that they were Christian and that we could come back later in the day. Well, we went back and the husband still wasn't home, but we were invited to a bible study class that they have at their house 3 times a week where she said we could teach. She said that the group didn't follow any religion, but followed the bible's teachings and that they always sought for "truth."

So that night we invited our zone leaders to come with us to help and we went to the bible study. We were fed spicy Indian curry and heard a rather amazing sermon about Psalms 23, The Lord is My Shepard, by a boy that couldn't have been more than 12 and then heard a rather lengthy song about that Psalm in their Indian language. We then got to teaching about the Restoration and priesthood authority, although Max, the bible study group's spiritual leader, didn't agree with the fact that authority is needed in order to perform a baptism. All in all it was an excellent cultural experience and I was glad we were invited back on Friday night.

Friday night was more difficult. We went back and had Indian tortillas and meat, heard another song and got back to teaching. This time the group was more prepared and asked difficult questions. Let's just say that we didn't go anywhere in our conversation, but gave them all Books of Mormon to read and study. I think we're gonna give them some time to read before going back to any of their study groups.

Second, Debbie. We found Debbie right after the Indian family. She is a single mom with an 18 year old daughter. She was busy but said we could come back Thursday. We did! We taught her the Restoration, getting a little bit into the Plan of Salvation. The spirit was definitely there and she invited us back after Christmas.

We taught a couple of other new people, but not anyone who is looking to progress further. We found a woman walking her dog who said we could teach about Church "history" AKA The Restoration. We did, but she didn't seem that interested.

We had our mission Christmas party on Thursday. We had a great dinner and then got to watch The Grinch cartoon and Mr. Kruger's Christmas, the cheesy church movie. It was great to see my friends from the MTC and meet many other missionaries.

Have I mentioned how great the ward here is? Last night we watched last year's choir concert with Jane and Rebecca. I hadn't seen it and it was really great to watch. I pointed out dad. I hope that this year's concert went well and I can't wait to get the CD next year. I am grateful for all that I have and for this chance I have to serve the Lord. As always, I know the Church is true! I love you!

Love,
Elder Fetzer

No comments:

Post a Comment