August 27, 2011

Crazy things are happening!

Hello all,
 
So this was a busy week. It was transfers! And as I predicted, Elder Kasenberg and I are still in the office. This had to have been one of the busiest weeks of my mission, in the office every day from 9-5 and most evenings driving around the mission delivering bikes and other furniture to missionaries that moved into new apartments. But at least we are busy and do have things that have to be done, although I can't wait until I am back as a regular missionary.
 
I am glad that our ward has FINALLY implemented the focus 5 program, in which we focus on families and individuals that are less-active and would like to invite back to Church. It has taken a long time for the ward to really learn how to implement it, after various trainings from stake leaders and even an area seventy, and took Elder Perry to come for the ward counsel to really understand it. But better late than never. Other wards I have been in that have truly implemented the program have seen great success from it and have seen many people come back into the Church. So once it is fully implemented we will have a lot more referrals from the ward to teach.
 
This week I sold a car without the help of Elder Greensides. I feel pretty happy about my accomplishment. I sold the Toyota Avalon driven by the mission president before he got a new one. I am happy about the persistence of the man who bought it for calling nearly every week since June to see when it would be ready.
 
We had a REALLY CRAZY experience this week. I can't remember if I have ever told you about him, but there is a homeless man in the stake that is well-known among the missionaries that always asks for blessings and advice. I have had 2 experiences with him in the past when I was in Issaquah 5th. Before he came to Church and after the meetings he asked for a blessing because he "gained revelation" that he lost his exaltation when he was sitting in the waiting room (that is the only part he can go into) in the temple. So he expected us to give him a blessing telling him that he had or had not lost it (that blessing didn't say). As I saw the man walk into the office and stand at the counter and ask me and my companion for a blessing, I froze. This time he talked to us for an hour about how he moved back east but his bishop there told him to come back and make amends with his wife so he could fully repent. Now in Washington he wanted a blessing telling him what to do next. I have to be honest, the spirit wasn't there. So I gave a blessing telling him universally true statements, such as to follow the law and that Heavenly Father wants him to get his life back in order. THEN he wanted my comp to give him a blessing because "out of the mouth of two or three witnesses" is truth, so he says. So Elder Kasenberg gave him a blessing with universally true statements. After this experience we talked to other missionaries and many of them had heard and even had other experiences with this man. I guess for being in Bellevue nearly a year I got my fair share of experiences with him. Crazy stuff! But that is one of the interesting things about missionary work. You don't have those experiences every day!
 
Well, things are going okay. Work is moving along and the Washington Seattle Mission is doing good!
The Church is true!
 
~Elder Fetzer

No comments:

Post a Comment