September 3, 2011

Year One

Something has changed. I finally have less days than the number I have been out. I am just over the hump. I have been out ONE YEAR! And in that year I have learned a lot about myself. I have learned to be more patient. I have learned to be more kind. I have learned that I can make friends and spend time with nearly anyone - no matter what age. I have learned to cook better, how to be an effective teacher. And I have learned what charity is. But more importantly, I have learned more about the truthfulness of the gospel - by living it and seeing others live it. And I have seen the happiness that comes from fully repenting, changing, and becoming better. Is there room for improvement? Of course! I can work harder and be a better missionary, but I would never change what has happened so far. I know that all the people I have met, the companions I have had, the people I have taught and the places I have gone have taught me and made me better. And as hard as it is some days, I know I can persevere. Because I have seen the blessings that come through it. So all in all, I love my mission and I can't wait to see where the next year takes me.

To end my first year, I couldn't ask for a better week. Because this was probably my busiest week, teaching wise in this area. The Lord is truly blessing us right now. Time is ticking down until the new senior couple comes. For that I am excited. This week was my last vehicle training. And soon I can turn over my cell phone to the new Vehicle Coordinator and let him deal with some of the weird situations I have had to.

This week we got a new investigator. Her name is Betsy. I would say that she is in her late 70's. A member from a different ward asked some other missionaries to give her a blessing, but when they found out she lived in our area, we soon started teaching her. Right now she is in a care facility so that she can regain strength and gain some weight, which she desparately needs. But in a few weeks she plans on attending Church and other activities. She is very sincere about wanting to learn more. We have met with her almost every day in the care facitliy. Basically everything we have taught her so far "rings true" with her. So here's to hoping that she turns out. We brought Jake and Lindsey to one lesson. They were great fellowship! While we taught the Plan of Salvation, they shared their testimonies and conversion story. Jake even pitched in and did some of the teaching on agency and the fall, even when he didn't necessarily realize that was part of the lesson plan. He knows the doctrine well, even as a new member. It was really exciting to me to see where their testimonies of the gospel are. As I have said before, they are going to be great members of the Church.

So things are going well. We are teaching more and that always helps. The Church is true!

~Elder Fetzer

No comments:

Post a Comment