August 27, 2012

Reflections

Hello all,
It has been the best two years, and also the worst two years. But throughout my mission I have been blessed! As I have reflected on my mission lately, I have remembered how the Lord truly does fulfill His promises. I have seen so many miracles on my mission. If I really did look back on my mission, I would probably see one every day, even on those days of no teaching, and what seemed to me as no progress. I don't regret going on a mission. I have truly seen the Lord's promise fulfilled, that "if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12:27)
I have seen that there truly does have to be opposition in all things, that you can't know true joy without feeling sorrow. A mission is like a mini lifetime, filled with the full range of emotions. But Christ's life wasn't easy either, and so must a humble disciple walk in His footsteps also. I'm not saying that I have felt everything that Christ Himself felt, but I feel that I have felt a minuscule portion of it.
Of all the miracles I have seen on my mission, the most joyful and amazing is truly when people use the Atonement of Jesus Christ in full force and truly experience a mighty change of heart, much as Alma the Younger:
"And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world. Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death. And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more. And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain! Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy." (Alma 36:17-20)
What an amazing message of hope, peace and comfort. That one can be cleansed of their former "natural man" life. And oh how sad it is when people choose not to accept it! But His Atonement is always there, infinite and eternal. And what a glorious miracle that is!
Last night I was reminded again about how blessed we are to have the gospel in our lives. We taught an Indian man named Kali, who is searching for truth in his life, but hasn't felt that he has found it yet. He wants to help his family and serve others, which it seems like many Indian people want in their life, but he doesn't feel that it can be found in any particular way of life or religion. Even when we ended our lesson he didn't want to pray, a clear indication that he isn't going to progress anyways.
The Korean branch continues to give us referrals. We have found a few potentials. But Bellevue is hard! I'm praying for a really good week to end my mission.
People are out there, I'm ready to work because this is the true gospel of Jesus Christ and the Lord's true Church!
Until 7:20 PM Monday, September 3, 2012,
~Elder Fetzer

No comments:

Post a Comment