February 20, 2012

Teaching to Different Cultures

Hello all,

Right now the Renton Highlands are good, although things could always be better. On the upside, we do actually have 2 investigators that ARE progressing and keeping commitments. On the downside, we have no one on-date for baptism. But hopefully soon.
 
We are teaching two separate Vietnamese people. Bronson is a 20 year old college student. I think I have told you about him already. We had an amazing lesson with him last week. Although we weren't really able to meet with him last week, he did come to Church and liked it! He continues to read the Book of Mormon and pray and told us that he wants to come back next week!
 
Thao was a referral that our zone leaders met at a bus stop a few weeks ago. We have taught him a few times, although all we have done is read through the Book of Mormon, pamphlets and watched The Restoration DVD with him in Vietnamese because he doesn't speak really any English. But he can feel the spirit and I think that he does understand our message because of the things we have given him in the language. He is still thinking about being baptized by Priesthood authority, but for now continues to read and pray.
 
It really is neat being here in Seattle. Although I'm not in a foreign mission, I still do get to teach people from all over the world and do get to see a glimpse into their culture. I counted it up the other day and over my mission I have taught people from about 12 different countries. It's actually pretty neat. 
 
Friday was actually kind of a bad day. It was rainy and no one we were supposed to teach that day was home. At the end of the day we went to go see a lady named Wendy that had been somewhat of an investigator for a while. She is the lady that we gave the Book of Mormon to a few weeks ago during the snow storm in THIS LETTER and committed her to read it. We went back to see how she liked it. Well, she didn't really understand what the book was saying. We told her about how us as missionaries can help her understand it better, but she said she was too busy and insisted that we take back the Book of Mormon because she doesn't "want to see a book on my bookshelf and be frustrated that [she] can't read." She then showed us a picture story Bible that she reads to her son and says that it is how she likes to understand the Bible. So we basically left on an "I'll call you when I have time" sort of deal which will probably never happen. I was really shocked because I have never had anything happen like that before! But it's all good now because I know that God will place someone else in our path.
 
Things are good and the Church is true!
 
~Elder Fetzer

No comments:

Post a Comment