February 13, 2012

God's Timing

Hello all,
 
Well, we had an okay week. As always, there were some disappointments, like when your investigators don't come to the door when the members are there to pick them up, or when appointments fall through, but that is all part of missionary work. We do rely on the agency of others, which is kind of a bummer sometimes, but it is God's way.
 
We did have a neat experience this week though, which I think did make up for some of the disappointments. Like on Thursday we had a lesson with a 19 year old guy named Bronson. He is from Vietnam. So we started out the lesson. It went all sorts of places and it wasn't quite going the way we wanted it to go. About half-way through the lesson I was prompted to ask an inspired question, which also happens to be one of the baptismal interview questions, "Do you believe that God is your loving Father in Heaven?" "I'm Skeptical," was his reply. So we spent the remaining time helping him understand the nature of God. We talked about feeling the spirit and I asked him if he felt he had ever felt the spirit. He wasn't sure and so I asked him what it was that made him say "yes"to the missionaries that contacted him at the bus stop. He had felt overwhelming peace, which I testified was God speaking to him. He understood that God could speak through our thoughts and feelings and so we invited him to pray and listen to the spirit whisper after it. As he did the spirit was overwhelming. He now believes in God and wants to learn more.
 
I learned a few things from that lesson. I learned again that God is in control and that I have to rely on him throughout all lessons so I can help those I teach feel the spirit. I also learned more about God's timing. We tracted that one apartment building weeks ago because we felt we should. After he was the only one that was home out of the 15 doors we knocked on we decided to leave to another complex. But it was all part of God's plan. Who would have known that weeks later he would say "yes" to other missionaries and allow us to teach him. Only God did.
 
I have learned a lot in this area and I am glad to stay here. This experience was just another testament that the Church is true!
 
~Elder Fetzer

No comments:

Post a Comment