July 16, 2012

The Spirit Converts Them

Hello all,
 
In a week of patience and perseverance, it surely ended well. Honestly, we've been struggling a little bit finding new investigators. We have people that continue to progress, albeit very slowly, but we've been having trouble finding new people, which has always been a struggle here in the Bellevue zone. But I think it is a lesson I'm supposed to learn. One thing I've learned about myself on my mission is that I can do hard things. And it has been the Savior's atonement that has gotten me through it. Now don't think that things are awful or I'm really struggling, or that I'm complaining, but I'm just stating that a mission is really hard. But there's a simple part of the gospel called enduring to the end, which we all must learn... The doctrine is clear: "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life. And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen." (2 Nephi 31:20-21)
 
It's amazing how even the trials that the Lord puts us through is exactly what we need to learn the lessons that we need to. My mission has really been a learning experience, both about myself and about others, one that has truly changed my life for the better. I feel that I have learned lessons I would have never learned otherwise, which will be essential both here and in the eternities to come.
 
On Friday we had Zone Conference. President Larkin taught about personal revelation in our own spheres of missionary work and how that would propel the mission to new heights. It was really inspirational. We also had a really powerful testimony meeting as the last part of it. As usual all the departing missionaries (including me) bore their testimonies because it was the last Zone Conference they would attend. It was a really powerful way to end zone conferences for me. 
 
Yesterday our sacrament meeting was focused on missionary work, as was the lesson in Priesthood and Relief Society. Elder Walker and I spoke, as did our Ward Mission Leader, Brother Yool. As I studied for it, I learned more about my purpose as a missionary and studied more of the doctrine on why we do this sacred work. I fully realized that "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God; For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him...And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!" (D&C 18:10-11,15). The work we are all called to do is truly a magnificent and divine work!
Last night we attended a fireside hosted by President and Sister Larkin in the mission home with Nathaniel and his wife Siti and our investigator Ashley. Each person had the opportunity to bear their testimonies. Nathaniel has come a long way and bore his testimony about the Book of Mormon and how he can find answers in it. Siti shared her 7-year conversion story. Ashley, who is still investigating shared that she has found answers to places in her life where holes were found. It was really rewarding to see them say that we as missionaries have helped those that are new or investigating the Church have impacted them so much! But it is really the spirit that converts them!
 
People are progressing and the Church is true!

~Elder Fetzer

No comments:

Post a Comment